Sunday, August 03, 2014

A walk in Devon

Short but one of the most beautiful of my long distance walks.




As a matter of fact it was split in two parts:
  1. Two days on the skirt of the Dartmoor National Park - mainly along the Dartmoor Way - from Ramsley (near Okehampton) to Bovey Tracey (about 40 km.);
  2. Five days along the South West Coast Path from Brixham to Salcombe (about 55 km).
The latter stretch is a bit short for a five days walk but I had to cope with accommodations and ferries.

I chose to walk the first two days inland because I wanted to look closer to the inner Devon which I had found so gorgeous going on bus from Bude to Exeter a few years ago.



And I wasn't disappointed: the area is definitely very beautiful and varied: woods, moorland, meadows, fields and fantastic thatched stone cottages.








Excepted the stretch behind the shingle of Slapton Sands, which I found ordinary, all the rest is simply splendid.
My favourite: from Hallsands to Portlemouth Downs; fantastic coves stunning views.

I have to say that I was blessed by a fantastic weather. Never had such in Britain. Sometimes even too hot; I had to carry more than 2 litres of water instead that the usual 1 litre.
I swam a lot (my first bathe in Britain) and I even got sunburnt!

I was obliged to camp in a wood 2 miles before Dartmouth because I couldn't call for accommodation due to lack of network signal.

Seen a lot of birds, butterflies, wild Dartmoor ponies, a group of seals and even an adder.

Only one regret: too short!

PS: for the gear list, excepted more water, essentially the same as in my previous solo walks.

Please see more photos at the relevant album.
 

No comments:

 

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization